FPF:UBKCJLBP15 Contemporary World Literature - Course Information
UBKCJLBP15 Towards Contemporary World LiteratureFaculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- PhDr. Hana Bednaříková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Radek Glabazňa, Ph.D., MA (lecturer)
Mgr. Oskar Mainx, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. PhDr. Michaela Weiss, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Michaela Weiss, Ph.D.
Institute of The Czech Language and Library Science - Faculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava
- Thu 23. 9. 14:45–16:20 H7, Thu 30. 9. 14:45–16:20 H7, Tue 5. 10. 13:05–14:40 M10, Thu 14. 10. 14:45–16:20 H7, Thu 21. 10. 14:45–16:20 H7, Thu 28. 10. 14:45–16:20 H7, Thu 4. 11. 14:45–16:20 H7, Thu 11. 11. 14:45–16:20 H7, Thu 18. 11. 14:45–16:20 H7, Thu 25. 11. 14:45–16:20 H7, Tue 30. 11. 13:05–14:40 M10, Thu 9. 12. 14:45–16:20 H7, Thu 16. 12. 14:45–16:20 H7
- Ability to read assigned literary works in the Czech language.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- The aim of the course is to outline the fundamental tendencies in world literature, or selected national literatures such as Anglo-American, French, Russian, German or Latin American, from the pre-Romantic period up until aesthetic postmodernity. The course traces key trends but also broader aesthetic, generic or discursive tendencies of the given periods and epochs.
- Learning outcomes
- Students will a have a good overview of the more recent developments in world literature and will be able to think, talk and write about it in a contextual manner. The main instruments will be independent reading as well as knowledge drawn from the individual lectures of the course.
- 1. Enlightenment and pre-Romanticism (Voltaire, J. J. Rousseau, L. Sterne) 2. Romanticism in European literatures (England, France, Germany) 3. Realism (Russian, English and French realism) 4. Naturalism (E. Zola and Tain determinism) 5. Modern. Currents of the second half of the 19th century (impressionism, symbolism and the concept of fin de siècle 6. Avant-garde and its manifestations I. (expressionism, futurism, cubism and cubofuturism) 7. Avant-garde and its manifestations II. (dada and surrealism) 8. Prose between the two world wars I .: prose written in English (modernism, Bloomsbury aesthetics, "lost generation") 9. Prose between the two world wars II .: German prose written (German bourgeois culture, German Jewish and non-Jewish works in the Czech lands) 10. Prose of the second half of the 20th century I .: existentialism (philosophical background, A. Camus, J.-P. Sartre) 11. Prose of the second half of the 20th century II .: Beat Generation (J. Kerouac, A. Ginsberg et al.) 12. Prose of the second half of the 20th century III .: magical realism and postmodernism (G. G. Márquez, U. Eco) 13. Postcolonial literature
- required literature
- BLOOM, H. Kánon západní literatury. Praha: Prostor, 2000. info
- POSPÍŠIL, I. Světové literatury 20. století v kostce. Praha, 1999. info
- HODROVÁ, D. Hledání románu. Praha, 1989. info
- MACURA, V. Slovník světových literárních děl 1, 2. Praha, 1989. info
- recommended literature
- Bertens, H. - Natoli, J. Encyklopedie postmodernismu. Brno 2005. info
- HILSKÝ, M. Modernisté. Praha: Torst, 1995.
- ASHCROFT, B., GRIFFITHS, G., TIFFIN, H. The Empire Writes Back. London: Routledge, 2001.
- NOVOTNÝ, V. Eseje o ruských spisovatelích. Praha: Cherm, 2006.
- GLABAZŇA, R. “National and Transnational Identities in Salman Rushdie’s The Moor’s Last Sigh.” In Moravian Journal of Literature and Film 4, 2 (2013): 19–34.
- BUTLER, Ch. Postmodernism: A Very Short Introduction. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002.
- LUKAVSKÁ, E. „Zázračné reálno“ a magický realismus. Brno: Host, 2003.
- AUERBACH, E,. Mimesis. Praha, 1886. info
- Teaching methods
- Lecture, class discussion.
- Assessment methods
- Reading. Essay. Written exam.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.slu.cz/course/fpf/winter2021/UBKCJLBP15