FPF:UBKCJLBP48 Etymology - Course Information
UBKCJLBP48 Introduction to etymologyFaculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- Mgr. Ing. Bc. Roman Sukač, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Ing. Bc. Roman Sukač, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Ing. Bc. Roman Sukač, Ph.D.
Institute of The Czech Language and Library Science - Faculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava
- Mon 15:35–16:20 M9
- Timetable of Seminar Groups:
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Czech language and literature (programme FPF, CJAL)
- Course objectives
- The aim of the course is to provide students with the basic information about the principles of etymology and methodology of the word origin reconstruction.
- Learning outcomes
- Students are able to: - understand and apply the comparative method - understand and apply the method of internal reconstruction - know the reconstructed grammar of Proto-Indo-European - know the principles of language changes - work with the basic reference books
- 1. History of etymological research
- 2. Language development
- 3. Comparative method
- 4. Sound changes
- 5. Morphological structure of words
- 6. Reconstruction of Proto-Indo-European
- 7. Reconstruction of Proto-Slavic
- 8. Word formation
- 9. Morphological changes
- 10. Semantic changes
- 11. Methodology of word origin research
- 12. Foundation of the Indo-European accentology
- 13. Etymological dictionaries
- required literature
- ERHART, A., VEČERKA, R. Úvod do etymologie. Praha, 1987. info
- Teaching methods
- Lectures and seminar.
- Assessment methods
- Written test.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.slu.cz/course/fpf/winter2021/UBKCJLBP48