MU:MU18102 English for Mathematicians II - Course Information
MU18102 English for Mathematicians IIMathematical Institute in Opava
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 2 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- PhDr. René Kron, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. RNDr. Michal Marvan, CSc.
Mathematical Institute in Opava
- Mon 13:55–15:30 R2
- Timetable of Seminar Groups:
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- MU18101 English for Mathematicians I && TYP_STUDIA ( N )
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 6 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The aim of the course is to enhance students' skills in scholarly writing in English.
- The focus is on autonomy in language training. Students write short essays on scholarly subjects of their own choice. Emphasis is laid on clarity and exactness.
- required literature
- Trzeciak, J. Writing Mathematical Papers in English. European Mathematical Society, 2005. info
- recommended literature
- Murphy, R. English Grammar in Use. Cambridge: CUP, 2004. info
- Hornby, A.S. Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. info
- Wells, J.C. Harlow. Longman Pronunciation Dictionary. Longman, 2000. info
- Swan, M. Practical English Usage. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1998. info
- Krantz, Steven G. A primer of mathematical writing. Providence, RI: AMS, 1997. info
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
- Teacher's information
- Active attendance, preparation of written assignments, oral presentation.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.slu.cz/course/sumu/summer2021/MU18102