FPF:FPFVA013 Contemporary British and Irish - Course Information
FPFVA013 Contemporary British and Irish PoetryFaculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/1/0. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- Mgr. Radek Glabazňa, Ph.D., MA (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Radek Glabazňa, Ph.D., MA
Faculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Spa Management and Tourism (programme FPF, B6503GAHOT)
- Course objectives
- The course will acquaint the students with the latest developments in poetry produced on the British Isles, Ireland included. The aim of the course is to introduce contemporary British and Irish poetry in a way that would enable the students to read, enjoy and appreciate the full scope of its stylistic and formal features, as well as to find an internal connection with its topical, albeit variable, subject matters. Focusing on key themes and issues, and a wide range of poets, the course captures the intersection between the historical and cultural contexts of critical debate today. Through a close-reading of poems by authors such as Simon Armitage, Don Paterson or Kathleen Jamie, the students will get a confident grasp of contemporary poetry and the critical discussions it generates.
- recommended literature
- Wheatley, David. Contemporary British Poetry. London: Palgrave, 2015. info
- Brinton, Ian. Contemporary Poetry: Poets and Poetry since 1990. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2009. info
- Eagleton, Terry. How to Read a Poem. Oxford: Blackwell, 2007. info
- Longley, Edna, ed. The Bloodaxe Book of 20th Century Poetry. Tarset: Bloodaxe, 2000. info
- Sanders, Andrew. The Short Oxford History of English Literature. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1994. info
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.slu.cz/course/fpf/summer2021/FPFVA013