FPF:ARCHSTN050 Current research questions of - Course Information
ARCHSTN050 Current research questions of the early and early High Middle AgesFaculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Vratislav Janák, CSc.
Institute of Archaeology - Faculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava
- For undergraduate students
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Archaeology of the Middle Ages and Modern Age (programme FPF, ARCH-bak)
- Course objectives
- The cycle Current issues of early and early High Middle Ages research will focus on making available the latest results of archaeological, or of interdisciplinary research in Central Danube Region with a focus on the region of Moravia, Slovakia, Silesia and the adjacent territories of Austria and Hungary. The center of interest is the period from the end of the download period nations after the 11th century, or the beginning of the High Middle Ages. Issues of migration, acculturation, and development will also be addressed structured society, political structures and determinants influencing the state of the medieval economy.
- Learning outcomes
- After completing the course, the student will orientate himself in the basic research questions of the early and early High Middle Ages.
- 1. The end of the migration period 2. The arrival of Slavs and other population groups in the middle Danubian region 3. The phenomenon of hillforts 4. The beginnings of Christianity on the Middle Danube 5. Great Moravian sacral architecture 6. New methods in the research of hillforts 7. What is a power center? 8. Power centers of VM 1 9. Power centers VM 2 10. Power centers of VM 3 11. Power centers VM 4 12. Great Moravia and what after it? 13. Central Danube in the 11th century
- required literature
- Macháček, J.: Velkomoravská hradiska – vojenské pevnosti nebo proto-městská centra? In Jiří Hanuš. Město a jeho symboly. 1. vyd. Brno: Centrum pro studium demokracie a kultury, 2021. 29-38.
- Kol.: Great Moravia and the beginnings of Christianity, Brno 2014.
- Kouřil, P. – Procházka, R. et al: Moravian and Silesian strongholds of the tenth and eleventh centuries in the context of Central Europe Brno, The Czech Academy of Sciences, Institute of Archaeology, Brno, 2018, 431.
- Poláček, L. et al.: Great Moravian Elites From Mikulčice, Czech Academy of Sciences, Institute of Archaeology, Brno, 2020. 465.
- Spisy Archeologického ústavu AV ČR Brno, svazek 55.
- Galuška, L.: Slované – stopy předků: o Moravě v 6.-10. století, 2017.
- recommended literature
- Galuška, L.: Silver disc-shaped plaque depicting a rider with a bird from the early medieval period found at Staré Město (Moravia, CZ). Przegląd archeologiczny 63, 2015.
- Košta, J. – Hošek, J.: Early Medieval swords from Mikulčice. Spisy Archeologického ústavu AV ČR Brno, svazek 42, Brno 2014. 334
- Teaching methods
- Assessment methods
- Credit. Written test, oral examination if necessary
- Language of instruction
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.slu.cz/course/fpf/winter2022/ARCHSTN050