FPF:UCJANGBP05 Practical English 2 - Course Information
UCJANGBP05 Practical English 2Faculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/4/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Steven Morris, M.A. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Barbora Hamplová (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Barbora Hamplová
Institute of Foreign Languages - Faculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava
- B1+ až B2 level of English according to CEFR
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- English (programme FPF, ANGbp)
- Course objectives
- The course is designed to systematically and comprehensively develop language competences and practically apply communicative skills at B1+ to B2 level of English according to CEFR. The students will deepen and consolidate their mastery of English grammar, broaden their vocabulary and practice pronunciation. The main emphasis will be on listening and speaking. The classes will be based on Units 6 to 10 of English FIle Intermediate Plus (4th edition, 2020).
- Learning outcomes
- Deepening and consolidation of all language competences corresponding to B1 + to B2 level of English.
- 1. Class introduction
- 2. Unit 6: Obligation, necessity, prohibition, advice; word pairs with and
- 3. Unit 6: Can, could, be able to; consonant clusters
- 4. Unit 7: Phrasal verbs, linking
- 5. Unit 7: Verb patterns; homographs
- 6. Unit 8: Have something done; sentence stress
- 7. Unit 8: The passive, relative clauses; silent consonants
- 8. Unit 9: Reported speech; word stress
- 9. Unit 9: Third conditional; sentence stress
- 10. Unit 10: Auxiliary and main verbs; stress on auxiliary verbs
- 11. Unit 10: British and American English
- 12. Final Revision of Units 6-10, Credit test
- required literature
- Latham-Koenig, Ch, C. Oxenden a K. Chomacki. English File Intermediate Plus Student’s Book. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2020
- recommended literature
- Davies, P. and Falla, T. (2015). Cambridge English First Result: Student‘s Book. Oxford: OUP. Davies, P. and Falla, T. (2014). Cambridge English First Result: Workbook. Oxford: OUP.
- Eeastwood, J. (2008). Oxford Practice Grammar Intermediate. Oxford: OUP Muprhy, R. (2012). English Grammar in Use Intermediate. 4th ed. Cambridge: CUP.
- Teaching methods
- Assessment methods
- Written and oral exam
- Language of instruction