FPF:UCJANGBP08 Grammar 1 - Course Information
UCJANGBP08 Grammar 1Faculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Pavel Heisig, Ph.D. (lecturer), Mgr. Pavel Heisig, Ph.D. (deputy)
Mgr. Petr Hájek (seminar tutor)
prof. Mgr. Jan Chovanec, Ph.D. (seminar tutor), Mgr. Pavel Heisig, Ph.D. (deputy)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. Mgr. Jan Chovanec, Ph.D.
Institute of Foreign Languages - Faculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava
- Mon 17:15–18:00 M8
- Timetable of Seminar Groups:
UCJANGBP08/B: Tue 8:55–9:40 H8, P. Hájek, P. Heisig
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- English (programme FPF, ANGbp)
- Course objectives
- The course Grammar 1 follows the Introduction to Linguistics. The aim of the course is to deepen the knowledge of English grammar. The content of the course covers nouns and noun phrases, categories of determination, pronouns, adjectives, adverbs and numerals. The lecture will offer a theoretical overview of the issue, in the subsequent seminar, students will consolidate the acquired theoretical knowledge through practical exercises.
- Learning outcomes
- After completing the course, the student will be able to: understand basic grammatical phenomena and use them in practice
- Structure of language. Morphology vs syntax. Types of words. Phrases. Clause vs sentence. 2. Nouns: types of nouns, proper vs common nouns, countable vs uncountable nouns. 3. Nouns: number, gender. 4. Nouns: case, countability. 5. Determiners: articles, possesive and demonstrative determiners. 6. Determiners: quantifiers, numerals as determiners, semi-determiners. 7. Pronouns: types of pronouns, possessive, reflexive, reciprocal pronouns. 8. Pronouns: demonstrative, indefinite, and other pronouns. 9. Noun phrase: simple vs complex noun phrase. 10. Adjectives: characteristics and formation of adjectives, adjective phrases, syntactic roles of adjective phrases. 11. Adverbs: characteristics and formation of adverbs, adverb phrases, syntactis roles of adverb phrases. 12. Adjectives and adverbs: comparison of adjectives and adverbs, adverbs and adjectives with the same form. 13. Numerals: cardinal and ordinal numbers, dates, special uses of numerals.
- required literature
- BIBER, Douglas and CONRAD Geoffrey LEECH SUSAN. Longman student grammar of spoken and written English. 7. impr. Harlow: Longman, 2007. ISBN 978-0-582-53942-6. info
- recommended literature
- Dušková, L. Mluvnice současné angličtiny na pozadí češtiny. Academia, 2003. info
- not specified
- CARTER, Ronald and McCARTHY MICHAEL. Cambridge grammar of English: a comprehensive guide: spoken and written English grammar and usage. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2006. ISBN 978-0-521-58846-1. info
- Teaching methods
- lecture, seminar
- Assessment methods
- seminar attendance 75%, written test
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.slu.cz/course/fpf/winter2023/UCJANGBP08