FPF:UIMOIBP002 English 1 - Course Information
UIMOIBP002 English 1Faculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 2 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- Mgr. Gabriela Entlová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Petr Hájek (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Barbora Hamplová (seminar tutor)
PhDr. René Kron, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Gabriela Entlová, Ph.D.
Institute of Computer Science - Faculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- UIMOIBP002/A: Mon 9:45–11:20 H3, R. Kron
UIMOIBP002/B: Mon 13:05–14:40 H2, P. Hájek
UIMOIBP002/C: Tue 9:45–11:20 H6, B. Hamplová
UIMOIBP002/D: Tue 13:05–14:40 H2, B. Hamplová
- Knowledge of the grammatical and lexical system of the English language acquired at high school.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Information and communication technologies (programme FPF, MOI)
- Course objectives
- The aim of the course is to practice and develop knowledge of the grammatical and lexical system of the English language acquired at high school. Emphasis is placed on the grammatical-lexical side of the language and the harmonious development of all four language skills (listening, reading, writing, speaking) so that students communicate clearly and grammatically correctly in common situations, both orally and in writing. Students will be acquainted with the system of language in its common use with the application of interesting texts for listening and reading, as well as with ways of creating and enriching vocabulary, all with the aim of conscious and purposeful use of language in communication both in terms of fluency and accuracy. The topics discussed reflect the areas of the first two lessons of compulsory literature and will be further expanded with additional materials reflecting the specific needs of students in order to deepen the knowledge of the field studied.
- Learning outcomes
- The students acquire the ability of communicative competence in the English language at the level of B.1.1.; the ability to communicate in simple everyday situations about familiar topics and activities; understands the main ideas of comprehensible input information on common topics; understand the meaning of short clear simple messages and reports; read simple texts, develop the ability to search for specific predictable information in simple everyday materials (e.g. advertisements, brochures, etc.); understand short personal letters; know and use appropriate vocabulary for conversational topics from everyday life; know and use basic grammatical phenomena.
- 1. Introduction, basic terminology, literature, information sources.
- 2. Food and restaurants; prefixes and suffixes.
- 3. Present simple and continuous, action and non-action verbs.
- 4. Past tenses: simple, continuous, perfect.
- 5. Family, personality; each other, reflexive pronouns.
- 6. Revise and Check Unit 1.
- 7. Money; numbers; phrasal verbs.
- 8. Present perfect and past simple; sentence stress.
- 9. Strong adjectives: exhausted, amazed, etc.
- 10. Present perfect continuous, sentence stress.
- 11. Transport and travel; how long + take; stress in compound nouns.
- 12. Comparatives and superlatives.
- 13. Revise and Check Unit 2.
- required literature
- LATHAM-KOENIG, Ch, C OXENDEN and M BOYLE. English File Intermediate Plus Student’s Book. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2014. ISBN 978-0-19-455831-0. info
- Teaching methods
- Language/communication skills training (oral and written) Group and cooperative teaching.
- Assessment methods
- Written credit test. Attendance at seminars (75%), activity during the lessons.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.slu.cz/course/fpf/winter2021/UIMOIBP002