FPF:UCJANGBP07 Culture Studies 1 - Course Information
UCJANGBP07 Culture Studies 1Faculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Marie Crhová, Ph.D., MA (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Veronika Nogolová, PhD. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Marie Crhová, Ph.D., MA
Institute of Foreign Languages - Faculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- English (programme FPF, ANGbp)
- Course objectives
- The aim of the course is to provide participants with an orientation in basic issues related to current British studies. Emphasis will be placed on the development of competencies in the field, the ability to discuss professional topics related to British studies, the development of critical thinking and motivation of participants to further self-education in the issue. Special emphasis will also be placed on the confrontation of British and Czech history, politics, and culture.
- Learning outcomes
- The student will be able to discuss various topics in the field of British studies
- 1. Geography of the state, natural conditions, climate and settlement.
- 2. What is Great Britain - political system.
- 3. UK dominance in the world in the past and today.
- 4. People in the UK - the question of formality, British society before and today.
- 5. Cultural diversity of the country, customs and holidays.
- 6. Sports, food and leisure.
- 7. Culture in the UK.
- 8. UK education system.
- 9. Media and the UK; social security system.
- 10. Selected events from British history.
- 11. British and American English.
- 12. Characteristic features of individual regions of the UK.
- 13. The British monarchy and the current royal family.
- Teaching methods
- Assessment methods
- written test
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials