FPF:UCJANGBP13 Practical Language 4 - Course Information
UCJANGBP13 Practical Language 4Faculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- PhDr. Veronika Woznicová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Gregory Jason Bell, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
PhDr. René Kron, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
PhDr. Libor Práger, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- PhDr. Libor Práger, Ph.D.
Institute of Foreign Languages - Faculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava
- B1+ level of English
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- English (programme FPF, ANGbp)
- Course objectives
- The course Practical Exercises 4 is the fourth in a series of language courses with the intention of systematically developing all language competences, ie grammar, vocabulary, writing, listening and speaking. The level of the textbook discussed corresponds to level B2-C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference. (English File Upper-intermediate 6-10)
- Learning outcomes
- Students will be able to:
Understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in his/her field of specialisation
Interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party
Produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options
- 1. Course introduction 2. (Unit 6) used to, gerunds and infinitives; S and Z pronunciation; 3. (Unit 6) understanding reasons, using contextual clues 4. (Unit 7) past modals, verbs of the senses; weak form of HAVE 5. (Unit 7) role-playing an argument, identifying solutions 6. (Unit 8) the passive; the letter U 7. (Unit 8) reporting verbs; understanding formal advice 8. (Unit 9) clues of contrast and purpose; changing stress 9. (Unit 9) uncountable and plural nouns; prefixes and suffixes 10. (Unit 10) quantifiers; stress in word families 11. (Unit 10) articles; pausing and sentence stress 12. Credit test
- required literature
- Latham-Koenig, Ch., C. Oxenden, K. Chomacki. English File Upper-intermediate, (4th edition, 2020)
- recommended literature
- SWAN, Michael. Practical English usage. Fourth edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2017. ISBN 978-0-19-420243-5. info
- GUDE, K., STEPHENS, M., EDWARDS, L., LUDLOW, K., WENDHOLT, H. and GUDE, K., STEPHENS, M., EDWARDS, L., LUDLOW, K., WENDHOLT, H. Cambridge English Advanced Result. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2015. ISBN 978-0-19-451240-4. info
- MURPHY, Raymond. English grammar in use: a reference and practice book for intermediate learners of English : without answers. 4th ed. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2012. ISBN 978-0-521-18908-8. info
- HORNBY, A S. Oxford advanced learner's dictionary of current English. 6th ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. ISBN 978-0-19-431585-2. info
- Wells, J., Harlow C. Longman Pronunciation Dictionary. Longman, 2000. info
- Teaching methods
- Assessment methods
- Written and oral exam.
Compulsory participation in seminars not less than 80%.
- Language of instruction