FPF:UCJANGBP17 English Lexicology - Course Information
UCJANGBP17 English LexicologyFaculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- PhDr. René Kron, Ph.D. (lecturer), PhDr. René Kron, Ph.D. (deputy)
PhDr. René Kron, Ph.D. (seminar tutor), PhDr. René Kron, Ph.D. (deputy)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Pavel Kolář, CSc.
Institute of Foreign Languages - Faculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava
- Thu 8:55–9:40 H3
- Timetable of Seminar Groups:
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- English (programme FPF, ANGbp)
- Course objectives
- The aim of this course is to introduce students to the basic principles of English lexicology, which are relevant to teaching English as a foreign language. The course introduces the word in terms of all lexicological disciplines (etymology, onomasiology, semasiology, phraseology and lexicography). Attention will also be paid to semantic relationships in vocabulary (semantics) and the issue of lexicon organization (semantic fields, synonyms, antonyms, etc.).
- Learning outcomes
- The student will gain an overview of the branches of lexicology (etymology, onomasiology, semasiology, phraseology and lexicography) and semantics.
- 1. Lexicology and lexicography, basic semantic and lexicological categories 2. Dictionaries and their classification, dictionary entry 3. Development of English vocabulary 4. Word formation in general 5. Composing 6. Derivation using suffixes 7. Derivation using prefixes 8. Conversion 9. Acronyms, abbreviations, clipping, blends 10. Multiword units 11. Synonyms, antonyms, homonyms 12. Varieties of contemporary English in vocabulary 13. Slang, jargon, slang, taboo words and swearing, archaisms.
- required literature
- Pavel Kolář. A Guide to English Lexicon. Opava, 2006. info
- recommended literature
- Kvetko, P. An Outline of English Phraseology. info
- Peprník, J.:. English Lexikology, Olomouc 2001. info
- Kvetko, P.:. Essentials of Modern English Lexikology, Bratislava 2003. info
- Kvetko, P. Frequency of English Idioms, In: Philologica XII. info
- Kvetko, Pavel. English Lexicology In Theory and Practice. Trnava, 2005. info
- Teaching methods
- lecture, seminar
- Assessment methods
- seminar attendance 75%, written test
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.slu.cz/course/fpf/winter2023/UCJANGBP17