FPF:UCJANGBP32 Translation Seminar 2 - Course Information
UCJANGBP32 Translation Seminar 2Faculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- PhDr. Libor Práger, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- PhDr. Libor Práger, Ph.D.
Institute of Foreign Languages - Faculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- English (programme FPF, ANGbp)
- Course objectives
- In this course, students will deal with the language of literary and genre-specific texts. The aim is to learn to perceive translation as a representation of a complex text structure in the source language through transposition of the similar textual complexity into the target language. In the seminar, students will translate texts from English into Czech.
- Learning outcomes
- After completing the course, the student will be able to:
- identify and summarize the main features of successful translations of specific genres ;
- identify and describe the appropriate strategies for successful translations of specific genres
- describe the factors that affect the success of translatios of specific genres;
- apply theoretical knowledge to the preparation and presentation of their own translations
- 1. Translating narrative fiction 1 (American specifics) 2. Translating narrative fiction 2 (British specifics) 3. Translating modern diary 4. Translating film script 5. Translating classics for modern times 6. Translating political fiction 7. Translating technical language in narratives 8. Translating slang and argot 9. Translating essay and non-narrative texts 10. Translating and political context 11. Translation and cultural context 12. Translation and history 13. Presentation of translations
- required literature
- Baker, M. In Other Words. London: Routledge, 1992. info
- recommended literature
- Knittlová, D. K teorii i praxi překladu. Olomouc, 2003. info
- Mounin, G. Teoretické problémy překladu. Praha, 1999. info
- Čechová et al. Komplexní jazykové rozbory. Praha: SPN, 1996. info
- Bell, R.T. Translation and Translating. London: Longman, 1991. info
- Newmark, P. A Textbook of Translation. London and New York: Prentice Hall, 1988. info
- Teaching methods
- Assessment methods
- active class participation, completed translation assignments
- Language of instruction