FPF:UCJANGBP33 Introduction to Poetry - Course Information
UCJANGBP33 Introduction to PoetryFaculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/1/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- PhDr. Diana Adamová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
doc. PhDr. Michaela Weiss, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Michaela Weiss, Ph.D.
Institute of Foreign Languages - Faculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- UCJANGBP33/A: Thu 16:25–17:10 M8, D. Adamová
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- English (programme FPF, ANGbp)
- Course objectives
- The course introduces students to the basic aspects of poetry, its function and way of reading. They will learn to recognize individual poetic forms, types of verses and rhymes, poetic figures and the tropics and their influence on the overall impression of the poem. Attention will also be paid to the concept of time and poetry speakers. All theoretical knowledge will be applied to specific texts in the field of Anglo-American poetry.
- Learning outcomes
- The student is able to define and recognize basic poetic forms, genres and terminology.
- 1. Introduction to the course
- 2. What is Poetry?
- 3. Sounds in poetry
- 4. Timing and time in poetry
- 5. Rhyme and Rhythm
- 6. Free verse
- 7. Who is speaking?
- 8. Poetic forms 1
- 9. Poetic forms 2
- 10. Images and Symbols 1
- 11. Images and Symbols 2
- 12. Use of poetry
- 13. Summary
- recommended literature
- BENNETT, Andrew and Nicholas ROYLE. An introduction to literature, criticism and theory. Fifth edition. New York: Routledge, 2016. ISBN 978-1-138-11903-1. info
- BURGESS, Anthony. English literature: a survey for students. New ed. London: Longman, 1974. ISBN 978-0-582-55224-1. info
- Teaching methods
- Assessment methods
- essay / presentation written test
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.slu.cz/course/fpf/winter2023/UCJANGBP33