FPF:UCJANGBP41 Anglophone Literatures - Course Information
UCJANGBP41 Contemporary Anglophone LiteraturesFaculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/1/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Veronika Nogolová, PhD. (seminar tutor)
doc. PhDr. Michaela Weiss, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Michaela Weiss, Ph.D.
Institute of Foreign Languages - Faculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- UCJANGBP41/A: Thu 8:55–9:40 M12, V. Nogolová
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- English (programme FPF, ANGbp)
- Course objectives
- The course introduces students to the main trends in contemporary Anglophone literature. They will get acquainted with the works of important contemporary English-speaking authors through their book production as well as film and serial adaptations. Students will discuss individual films, their episodes, characters and themes. The main focus will be on dystopia, which has become one of the most popular genres. The course will also include a critical comparison of film adaptations with their literary models. Two seminars will be devoted to current topics in contemporary Anglo-American popular music.
- Learning outcomes
- The student will be aware of trends in contemporary Anglophone literature and culture, will be able to interpret literary and song lyrics.
- 1. Introduction to the course
- 2. What is Utopia?
- 3. What is Dystopia?
- 4. English Dystopian Narratives 1
- 5. English Dystopian Narratives 2
- 6. American Dystopian Narratives 1
- 7. American Dystopian Narratives 2
- 8. Dystopia and Adaptation 1
- 9. Dystopia and Adaptation 2
- 10. Dystopia and Adaptation 3
- 11. Current Trends in Music 1
- 12. Current Trends in Music 2
- 13. Course summary
- Teaching methods
- Assessment methods
- seminar attendance 75% presentation oral exam
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.slu.cz/course/fpf/winter2023/UCJANGBP41