OPF:PEMNASMR Strategic Marketing - Course Information
PEMNASMR Strategic MarketingSchool of Business Administration in Karvina
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/1/0. 6 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Ing. Michal Stoklasa, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Ing. Michal Stoklasa, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- Ing. Michal Stoklasa, Ph.D.
Department of Business Economics and Management - School of Business Administration in Karvina
Contact Person: Ing. Kateřina Matušínská, Ph.D.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Business Economics and Management (programme OPF, N_EKOMAN, specialization Marketing and Trade)
- Course objectives
- Strategic marketing builds on the marketing and management courses and develops the knowledge acquired in these subjects. Its aim is to promote theoretical and methodological basis of these disciplines, to support their interdisciplinary links and to get students to be able to comprehensively evaluate complex practical phenomena and processes. The strategic nature of the subject requires students to know the basics of research, problem solving and research activities, and be able to transform the results of research into theory and into practical business and marketing projects. The students in this course address practical examples by utilizing the acquired knowledge. Content of this subject is directly linked to other mandatory and optional subjects including a diploma thesis.
- Methodology of Strategic Marketing
The differences between Strategic Marketing and Strategic Management are examined, with focus on strategic thinking. The basic concept of marketing is thoroughly explained, with its evolution. Subsequently, the evolution of strategic marketing is characterized. The difference between strategy and tactics is also explained.
Strategic Marketing Management
The overall process of strategic marketing management is explained, with its main steps of vision, mission, analyses, strategic goals, and strategy. Each of these steps is thoroughly explained with examples of real life successful and failed applications.
Various approaches to marketing situation analysis are examined. Marketing macro and micro environment are chosen as best to describe analytical methods needed. For macro environment, the PEST analysis is explained. For micro environment, the 3C of customers, competition and collaborators is explained, with internal micro environment only a few selected are examined, mainly SWOT and 5F analysis. Each of these areas is completed with several special analyses.
All the necessary steps to form a marketing strategy are examined. Various generic strategies are explained, such as Porter's, Kotler's, general strategies and others. Then each of the four marketing P's (product, price, place, and promotion) is thoroughly explained with its own detailed strategies.
Business to business market is vastly different to business to customer market (B2C) and requires different strategic approach. First, the main differences of B2B and B2C are examined. Several specialized processes are dealt with in greater detail, such as purchasing behavior of companies. Lastly, the new trends on B2B are examined.
Customer Relationship Management
One of the hottest trends in marketing is the transition from transactional marketing to relationship marketing. CRM is the manifestation of this trend, being a new marketing paradigm. First, the ERP systems are examined, as these are the basis for CRM. Then, the function of CRM system is thoroughly explained. Lastly, CRM is explained as a part of marketing strategy.
- Methodology of Strategic Marketing
- required literature
- KOTLER, P. and K. L. LANE. Marketing Management. Boston: Pearson Education, 2012. ISBN 978-0-273-75336-0. info
- MOORADIAN, T. A. Strategic Marketing. Williamburg: Good Dog Publishing, 2012. ISBN 978-0990542704. info
- recommended literature
- BUTTLE, F. Customer Relationship Management: concepts and technologies. Amsterdam: Elsevier, 2009. ISBN 978-1-85617-522-7. info
- WILSON, R. M. S. and C. GILLIGAN. Strategic Marketing Planning. Amsterdam: Elsevier, 2009. ISBN 978-1-85617-617-0. info
- DRUMMOND, G., ASHFORD, R. and J. ENSOR. Strategic Marketing: planning and control. Amsterdam: Elsevier, 2008. ISBN 978-0-7506-8271-8. info
- Teaching methods
- Lecture with presentation in Power-point
- Assessment methods
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
- Teacher's information
attendance in seminars 50 %, ongoing test, final written exam
Activity Difficulty [h] Ostatní studijní zátěž 40 Přednáška 26 Seminář 13 Zkouška 40 Summary 119