FPF:UCJOPBP002 Business Communication - Course Information
UCJOPBP002 Business CommunicationFaculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Jakub Horák (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Táňa Pavlíková Alešová, Ph.D. (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Jakub Horák
Institute of Foreign Languages - Faculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- UCJOPBP002/A: Fri 20. 10. 8:05–11:20 H3, Fri 27. 10. 8:05–11:20 H3, Fri 3. 11. 8:05–11:20 H3, Fri 10. 11. 8:05–11:20 H3, J. Horák
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- The subject of business communication focuses on the specifics of communication in the field of sales, marketing, customer service, as well as on internal company communication in today's multicultural world. After completing the course, the student will know the basic standards in the field of communication etiquette, direct, telephone, and written communication. He will be able to name the socio-cultural differences of several major world regions in terms of business communication. Part of the acquired knowledge will be communication within the workplace, with the superior, or ways to properly cope with stress or problematic clients. Students will learn to argue, influence, defend their own opinions, in different communication situations and conditions. Knowledge and skills will be tested on the basis of individual and group practice. The course ends with an exam.
- Learning outcomes
- written test, oral exam, participation in seminars (75%)
- 1. Introduction to the issue: specifics of business communication; Fields of application; development of business communication (yesterday and today) 2. Etiquette in business communication - ways, dress-code, self-presentation, prejudices 3. Direct communication - non-verbal communication 4. Communication by telephone - introduction, introduction, call structure, expectation settings, call termination 5. Telephone communication 2 - dissatisfied customer; opposition; how to support and defend your opinion 6. Negotiation - internal / external - argumentation, influencing, manipulation 7. Communication by phone in practice - (role play exercises in pairs, solving pre-given situations) 8. Email communication - business correspondence, etiquette, typology of emails, communication styles 9. Email communication in practice - (role play exercises in pairs, solving pre-given situations) 10. Business trips and official visits (behavior, borders, socio-cultural differences) 11. Intra-company communication - how to conduct meetings, feedback, team meeting, 1-2-1 meeting 12. Socio-cultural differences in business communication - European region, USA, Asia 13. Summary of the whole semester, discussions, questions and answers
- required literature
- KHELEROVÁ, H. Komunikační a obchodní dovednosti managera. Komunikační a obchodní dovednosti managera. Praha: Grada Publishing, 2006. info
- recommended literature
- Farrel, C., Lindsley, M. Professional English in Use Management. 2008.
- Carnegie, D. Jak získávat přátele a působit na lidi. 2012.
- Dean, S. Obchodní komunikace v angličtině. 2008.
- not specified
- studijní opora předmětu / study support
- Teaching methods
- seminar, practical homework and projects during the semester
- Assessment methods
- oral exam, practical homework and projects during the semester
- Language of instruction
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.slu.cz/course/fpf/winter2023/UCJOPBP002