FPF:ARCHKRA030 Basic of Geological Sciences f - Course Information
ARCHKRA030 Basic of Geological Sciences for ArchaeologistsFaculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- Mgr. Vojtěch Wertich (lecturer)
Mgr. Vojtěch Wertich (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Vojtěch Wertich
Institute of Archaeology - Faculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava
- For undergraduate students
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Landscape archaeology (programme FPF, ARCH-bak)
- Course objectives
- During the lectures, students will learn about the basics of individual geological disciplines that can be used in archaeology practice and regional description of geological units in northern Moravia and Upper Silesia (with an emphasis on the Opava region and the area of Hrubé Jeseník, as the most important ore province for the area of interest). They will be described for individual areas verified and potential sources of raw materials for the production of stone and metal objects. They will be an important part of the subject practical demonstrations of rocks, minerals, ore samples used in the past, as well as field excursions and exercises where you students will test their newly acquired knowledge directly in the field or on archaeological research.
- 1. Introduction to petrology (processes of rock formation, basic division, typical identifying features. Use of rocks as stone raw materials, an overview of ore samples that were used for the production of metal objects. 2. Regional geology of Northern Moravia and Upper Silesia. 3. Geological time – division into individual periods, in more detail about the periods that influenced the development of rocks and landscapes in northern Moravia and Upper Silesia. 4. Stratigraphy of the Quaternary – more detailed division of individual parts of the Pleistocene and Holocene, connections with development human cultures. 5. Fundamentals of Quaternary geology – deposition and types of Quaternary sediments, the phenomenon of continental glaciation on northern Moravia. 6. Basics of pedology - soil types, typical signs and their "reading". 7. Work with map materials and geological web databases and applications, their availability and usability for archaeological practice and research. 8. Overview of field and laboratory methods. 9. Exemplary studies of the use of geology in archaeological research, verified and potential sources of stone raw materials in prehistoric times for the regions of Northern Moravia and Upper Silesia. Overview of occurrences of ore mineralization in the area Northern Moravia and Upper Silesia with special emphasis on the area of Hrubé Jeseník, as the most important ore province for interest area. 10. Field excursions and exercises (archaeological research, Kulm sedimentary rocks, Quaternary sediments and volcanic rocks, soils). 11. Field excursions and exercises (archaeological research, Kulm sedimentary rocks, Quaternary sediments and volcanic rocks, soils). 12. Field excursions and exercises (archaeological research, Kulm sedimentary rocks, Quaternary sediments and volcanic rocks, soils). 13. Field excursions and exercises (archaeological research, Kulm sedimentary rocks, Quaternary sediments and volcanic rocks, soils).
- required literature
- Lisá, L. – Bajer, A.: Manuál geoarcheologa aneb Jak hodnotit půdy a sedimenty. Brno 2014.
- Tomášek, M: Půdy České republiky. Praha 2007.
- Přichystal, A.: Kamenné suroviny v pravěku východní části střední Evropy. Brno 2009.
- recommended literature
- Janák, V. – Přichystal, A.: Ateliér kultury nálevkovitých poháru na výrobu broušené industrie z kulmských hornin v Holasovicích, okr. Opava. Archeologické studie Univerzity Hradec Králové 1, Hradec Králové, 2006, 177-188.
- Pavelčík, J.: Těžba a zpracování kamene na výšinné eneolitické osadě u Hlinska u Lipníku nad Bečvou. Časopis Slezského muzea, série B 39, 1990, 97-105.
- Chlupáč, I. – Brzobohatý, R. – Kovanda, J. – Stráník, Z.: Geologická minulost České republiky. Praha 2002.
- Teaching methods
- Lecture, seminar
- Assessment methods
- Credit. Compulsory participation in field exercises, 70% participation in seminars, written test
- Language of instruction