OPF:PEMNARLZ Human Resource Management - Course Information
PEMNARLZ Human Resource ManagementSchool of Business Administration in Karvina
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/1/0. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Ing. Werner Bernatík, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Ing. Werner Bernatík, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Ing. Lucie Meixnerová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Vojtěch Malátek, CSc.
Department of Business Economics and Management - School of Business Administration in Karvina
Contact Person: Ing. Šárka Zapletalová, Ph.D.
- Thu 15:35–17:10 A412
- Timetable of Seminar Groups:
- FAKULTA ( OPF ) && TYP_STUDIA ( N ) && FORMA ( P )
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 20 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 8/20, only registered: 0/20
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 7 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The aim of this course is to provide students with the necessary knowledge in a comprehensive way to enable their better orientation in a relatively complex area of Human Resource Management (HRM) and enable them to apply their obtained knowledge in practice. The course presents relevant information about principles of HRM and its role in enterprises and other organizations, stresses the importance of personnel officers and personnel managers within organizations both in Czech and international subjects worldwide. Also, the goal of the course is to put emphasis on systemic relations and consequences of procedures and methods used within personnel management in companies while pointing out the moral aspects and cooperative partnership attitude of employer, too.
- Human Resource Management (HRM) and Human Capital Management (HCM)
Human Resource Management defined, Human resource system, Models of HRM, Aim and policy goals of HRM, Characteristics of HRM, HRM and Personnel management. Human capital management defined, HCM and HRM, The concept of HCM, strategy and practise, Human capital measurement and reporting. Knowledge management. Competency-based HRM. The ethical dimension of HRM. Corporate Social Responsibility. Strategic HRM, HR strategies, Types of HR strategies, Criteria for an effective HR strategy.
People and Organizations
The overall role of HR function, the role of HR facilitating and managing change, the role of the HR practitioner, conflict in the HR contribution, the role of the front-line manager. Organizational behaviour defined, Organizational culture, Characteristics of people, Motivation, The psychological contract, Work, organization and job design. Employee engagement, Drivers of engagement. Organization development.
Competency-based HRM, Types of competencies and competency framework, Behavioural competency modelling. Job and role analysis, Job design, Role development. People resourcing strategy, Human resource planning, Recruitment and selection, Selection methods, Retention planning. Talent management. Flexibility planning, Absence management. Managing the work environment. Health and safety management. Employee relations, Dispute resolution, Collective bargaining, Collective agreements.
People Management Skills
Managing Change, The change process, Change models, Resistance to change, Implementing change, Guidelines for change management. Leadership Skills, Leaders and followers, Ulrich´s leadership brand, Leadership brand, Leadership styles, Leadership and emotional intelligence. Selection Interviewing Skills, The content of an interview, Preparing and planning the interview, Interviewing techniques. Performance Management Skills, Formal review meetings, Guidelines on providing feedback. Learning and Development Skills, Continuous learning, Managing conflict between individuals and inter-group conflict, Handling People Problems, Disciplinary issues, Negative behaviour, Poor timekeeping, Underperformance, Absenteeism.
Learning and Development
Learning and development defined, Learning and development strategy, Learning culture, The learning organization, Organizational learning, How people learn, Approaches to learning and development. Development, Training, Blended training, Planning and delivering learning programmes and events. Identifying learning needs. Evaluation of learning.
Performance and Reward
Meaning of performance, Influences on performance, Influences on performance, High-performance work system, Managing organizational performance, Managing team performance, Managing individual performance. Reward management defined, Aims of reward management, The reward management framework, The reward package, Reward systems, Strategic reward, Total rewards, Financial and non-financial rewards. Job evaluation, Market pricing, Grade and pay structures, Pay progression, Recognition schemes, Employee benefits.
International HRM defined, The international scene framework, Issues in international HRM. International HR policies. Global HR policies and practices. International organizational models. Multicultural working. Convergence and divergence. Cultural diversity. Think globally and act locally. Managing expatriates, The process of managing expatriates, Assimilation and support, Career management, Re-entry management, Pay and allowances policy.
- Human Resource Management (HRM) and Human Capital Management (HCM)
- required literature
- ARMSTRONG, M., TAYLOR, S. Armstrong's Handbook of Human Resource Management Practice. Philadephia: Kogan Page, 2014. ISBN 978-0-7494-6964-1. info
- ARMSTRONG, M. How to Manage People (Creating Success). Philadephia: Kogan Page, 2013. ISBN 978-0-7494-6708-1. info
- ARMSTRONG, M. Armstrong´s essential Human Resource Management Practice. A guide to People Management. London: Kogan Page, 2010. ISBN 978-0-7494-5989-5. info
- recommended literature
- ARMSTRONG, M. How to be an even better manager: a complete A-Z proven techniques and essential skills. London: Kogan Page, 2014. ISBN 978-0-7494-7154-5. info
- MATHIS, R.L., JACKSON, J.H. Human Resource Management. Stamford: Cengage Learning, 2014. ISBN 978-1-133-953104. info
- MESSMER, M. Human resources Kit For Dummies. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2013. ISBN 978-1-118-42289-2. info
- SNELL, S. A., BOHLANDER, G. W. Managing Human Resources. Mason, 2012. ISBN 978-1-111-53282-6. info
- Teaching methods
- Lecture with presentation in Power-point
- Assessment methods
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
- Teacher's information
- Attendance in seminars 60 %, seminar paper, defence of seminar paper, discussion, final combined exam
Activity Difficulty [h] Ostatní studijní zátěž 66 Přednáška 26 Seminář 13 Zkouška 40 Summary 145