OPF:CVABAICO Intercultural Communication - Course Information
CVABAICO Intercultural CommunicationSchool of Business Administration in Karvina
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Martina Chylková (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- Ing. Patrik Kajzar, Ph.D.
Department of Tourism and Leisure Activities - School of Business Administration in Karvina
Contact Person: PhDr. Janusz Karpeta, Ph.D.
- Mon 8:05–8:50 VD110
- Timetable of Seminar Groups:
- FAKULTA ( OPF ) && TYP_STUDIA ( B ) && ( FORMA ( P ) || FORMA ( Z )) && ( ROCNIK ( 2 ) || ROCNIK ( 3 ))
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 20 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 5/20, only registered: 5/20
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- Aim of the subject is to help students' understand how to apply the necessary skills to conceptualising, investigating, analysing and appraising intercultural communication in business and professional contexts.
- Learning outcomes
- After completing the course, the student will be able to: • - to introduce intercultural communication, its specifics, importance of a language and culture, culture values and their impact on intercultural communication. - to compare the verbal and non-verbal communication and its importance for business communication. - to explain about the ways of socializing in different cultures and how to present efficiently.
- 1. Culture specifics of international communication in marketing
- Intercultural communication and its specifics. Language and culture. Culture values and their impact on communication in marketing. Culture dimensions and their practical application in marketing. Case studies illustrating various aspects of culture dimensions.
- 2. Business Organization and Culture, Division of Cultures
- Defining culture. Cultural and cross-cultural awareness. Types of culture. National identity. Division according to Hofstede, Trompenaars, and Lewis.
- 3. Verbal and Non-Verbal Communication, Effective Communication Listening skills. Oral communication skills. Reading skills.
- Effective writing skills. Personal Appearance, gestures, and postures. Body and time language. Facial expression. Eye contacts. Essentials of effective communication. Communication techniques. Barriers to communication.
- 4. Communication as skill for career and Cross-Cultural Communication
- Business communication. Presentation skills. Telephone skills. Time and stress management. Soft skills. The Czech and Slovak Business culture. Specifics of chosen countries.
- 5. Business etiquette
- Status and formality. The first impression. Communication style. Dress code. Greetings. Introduction. Personal space. Business cards. Small talk. Having lunch or dinner. Drinks.
- 6. Meetings and negotiations
- Preparation. Agenda. Communication. Content. Process. Culture differences. Agreement. Disagreement. Conclusion. Tasks. Relationship building. Rules of negotiating in a different culture. Body language. Useful phrases.
- 7. Written communication
- Applying for a job. CV. Cover letter. Email application. Reporting to the manager. Solving complaints. Advertising. Producing a questionnaire.
- required literature
- KAJZAR P. a M. CHYLKOVÁ, 2019. Intercultural Communication. Karviná: SU OPF. ISBN 978-80-7510-376-5.
- HEINZ, K., 2014. Intercultural Communication. Karviná: SU OPF. ISBN 978-80-7510-018-4.
- QUINTANILLA, K. M. and S. T. WAHL, 2011. Business and Professional Communication. Los Angeles: Sage Publications, Inc. ISBN 978-1-4129-6472-2.
- recommended literature
- CROUCHER, S. M., 2017. Global Perspectives on Intercultural Communication. New York and London: Taylor & Francis. ISBN 9781317506539.
- TING-TOOMEY, S. and CHUNG, L., 2021. Understanding Intercultural Communication. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0190297442.
- JACKSON, J., 2019. Introducing Language and Intercultural Communication. Routledge. ISBN 978-1138481619.
- TULEJA, E. A., 2016. Intercultural Communication for Global Business: How leaders communicate for success. Routledge. ISBN 978-1138932845 doporučená literatura
- Teaching methods
- Lecturing Interactive lecture Skills demonstration Seminar classes
- Assessment methods
- Seminar work, 2 ongoing tests, presentation and final written test.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.slu.cz/course/opf/zima2022/CVABAICO