OPF:PEMNASMA Strategic Management - Course Information
PEMNASMA Strategic ManagementSchool of Business Administration in Karvina
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/1/0. 6 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Ing. Pavel Adámek, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Ing. Pavel Adámek, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Ing. Šárka Zapletalová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- Ing. Šárka Zapletalová, Ph.D.
Department of Business Economics and Management - School of Business Administration in Karvina
Contact Person: Ing. Šárka Zapletalová, Ph.D.
- Wed 8:55–10:30 B206
- Timetable of Seminar Groups:
- FAKULTA ( OPF ) && TYP_STUDIA ( N ) && FORMA ( P )
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 25 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 2/25, only registered: 0/25
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Business Economics and Management (programme OPF, N_EKOMAN, specialization Accounting and Taxes)
- Business Economics and Management (programme OPF, N_EKOMAN, specialization Business)
- Business Economics and Management (programme OPF, N_EKOMAN, specialization Corporate Finance)
- Business Economics and Management (programme OPF, N_EKOMAN, specialization Marketing and Trade)
- Course objectives
- The aim of this course is to provide students with the knowledge about the strategic conditions for corporations and other types of organizational interplay, with their environment. The course is composed to demonstrate through knowledge the consequences for corporate management of new theories within the strategy regarding strategic decision making in different industries, implications on strategy, organizational structure and networking with demonstrated ability to integrate different models and concepts in a coherent analysis of a strategic situation. The course highlights the differences in demands on the leadership in different kinds of organizations strategic leadership in large corporations as well as in small new ventures and in public organization.
- The Strategy-Making Process
The nature and importance of strategic management, dimensions, strategy level, the basic elements of strategic management, strategy-makers (top management) targets strategic management, leadership and strategic management component characterization are thoroughly explained with special focus on description of structural links elements of strategic management process as a sequence of interactions.
The Nature of Competitive Advantage
External Analysis is based on the identification of opportunities and threats and nearby environment affecting corporate strategy. The emphasis is focus on characteristics distant and immediate surroundings entrepreneurial companies. To evaluate the current situation are applied appropriate methods according to various typologies and scope of the organization.
Corporate-Level Strategy and Long-Run Profitability
Creation of a strategic plan and a detailed breakdown and consistency according to the strategic planning cycle is introduced. Further, there are defined kinds of strategies, functional strategies and types of strategic approach based on a context of variants of the business strategy in the business entity and typology of strategic approaches according the types of organizations.
Strategic change are highlighted by implementing strategies to build and develop a company. Process of guidelines for successful acquisition and implementation through internal new ventures, strategic alliances and strategic approach according the functional parts of the organization is described. Managing strategic change, effects on organizational structure, management style and the methods of inspecting the planned changes through organizational design are introduced.
Evaluation of a Transnational Environment as an Area of Economic Globalization
Definition of strategic requirements of multinational corporations, the reasons of transnational links and the complexity of the multinational environment including their management demands is described. Strategy content and formulation for multinational companies with focused on multinational and entry-mode strategies within cross-cultural communication, leadership and management behavior is explained.
- The Strategy-Making Process
- required literature
- ROTHAERMEL, F. T. Strategic Management. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2016. ISBN 978-1-2559-42047-. info
- LEINWAND, P. and C. R. MAINARDI. Strategy That Works: How Winning Companies Close the Strategy-to-Execution Gap. Harvard Business Review Press, 2016. ISBN 978-1-6252-75202. info
- recommended literature
- HITT, M. A., IRELAND, R. D. and R. E. HOSKISSON. Strategic Management: Concepts and Cases: Competitiveness & Globalization. Boston: Cengage Learning, 2016. ISBN 978-1-305-50214-7. info
- HILL, C. W. L., SCHILLING, M. A. and G. R. JONES. Strategic Management: Integrated Approach. Boston: Cengage Learning, 2016. ISBN 978-1-305-50227-7. info
- KOURDI, J. Business Strategy: A Guide to Effective Decision-Making. New York: Public Affairs, 2015. ISBN 978-1-6103-94765. info
- Teaching methods
- Lecture supplemented with a discussion
Lecture with presentation in Power-point
- Assessment methods
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
- Teacher's information
- attendance in seminars 60 %, seminar paper, defence of seminar paper, final written exam
Activity Difficulty [h] Ostatní studijní zátěž 38 Přednáška 26 Seminář 13 Zkouška 40 Summary 117